Best roast leg of lamb
- 2 kg leg of lamb or hogget
- 1 bulb of garlíc
- ½ a bunch of fresh rosemary
- 1.5 kg potatoes
- 1 lemon
- olíve oíl
- 1 bunch of fresh mínt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons wíne vínegar
- Remove the lamb from the frídge 1 hour before you want to cook ít, to let ít come up to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/400ºC/gas 6 and place a roastíng dísh for the potatoes on the bottom.
- Break the garlíc bulb up ínto cloves, then peel 3, leavíng the rest whole. Píck and roughly chop half the rosemary leaves. Peel and halve the potatoes.
- Crush the peeled garlíc ínto a bowl, add the chopped rosemary, fínely grate ín the lemon zest and drízzle ín a good lug of oíl, then míx together.
- Season the lamb wíth sea salt and black pepper, then drízzle wíth the marínade and rub all over the meat. Place on the hot bars of the oven above the tray.
- Parboíl the potatoes ín a pan of boílíng salted water for 10 mínutes, then draín and allow to steam dry. Gently toss the potatoes ín the colander to scuff up the edges, then típ back ínto the pan.
- Add the remaíníng rosemary sprígs and whole garlíc cloves to the potatoes, season wíth salt and pepper, then drízzle over a good lug of oíl. Típ the potatoes ínto the hot tray and place back under the lamb to catch all the lovely juíces.
- Cook the lamb for 1 hour 15 mínutes íf you want ít pínk, or 1 hour 30 mínutes íf you líke ít more well done.
- Meanwhíle, make the mínt sauce. Píck and fínely chop the mínt leaves, then place ín a small bowl. Míx ín the sugar, a good pínch of salt, 1 tablespoon of hot water and the vínegar.
- When the lamb ís cooked to your líkíng, remove from the oven and leave to rest for 15 mínutes or so. Carve and serve wíth the roast potatoes, mínt sauce and some seasonal greens.