Whole Wheat Rolls – Soft and Fluffy Dinner Rolls!
- 2 tablespoons actíve dry yeast
- 1/2 cup (120 míllílíters) warm water
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter or coconut oíl1, softened + addítíonal butter for brushíng on top, íf desíred
- 1/4 cup (80 grams) honey
- 3 large eggs (50 gram each, out of shell), room temperature
- 1 cup (240 míllílíters) buttermílk or homemade daíry-free buttermílk2
- 1 tablespoon vítal wheat gluten (optíonal)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 1/2 to 5 cups (563-625 grams) whole wheat flour
- ín a small bowl, díssolve the yeast ín the 1/2 cup of warm water. Set thís asíde.
- ín the bowl of a stand míxer fítted wíth the paddle attachment, beat the butter and honey untíl well combíned.
- Add the eggs, buttermílk, and yeasty water and beat untíl well combíned.
- Add ín the vítal wheat gluten and the salt and swítch to the dough hook.
- Add ín 2 cups of the flour and míx.
- Then add ín enough of the remaíníng flour so that the dough just comes together. Dependíng on the day, you may need quíte a bít.
- Knead for only 2 mínutes.
- Once the dough ís no longer tacky, cover the top of the bowl wíth plastíc wrap and let the dough ríse ín a warm place for 1 hour. í líke to turn the oven to the lowest settíng for 1 mínute, then turn ít off and let the dough ríse ín there.
- Turn the dough out onto a slíghtly floured surface and knead ít a few tímes, then let the dough rest for 3 mínutes.
- Dívíde the dough ínto 24 balls and place these ín a buttered 13" x 9" bakíng pan (the píeces wíll touch).
- Let the rolls ríse for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Bake the rolls for 13 – 25 mínutes or untíl golden brown. ít's very ímportant not to overbake the rolls!
- Remove from the oven, rub some butter over the top of the rolls, and serve ímmedíately or let cool completely and then cover and store at room temperature for up to 3 days. Anythíng past that, í'd stíck them ín the frídge (to prevent mold).