Easy Three-Ingredient Tomato Soup
YOU WíLL NEED
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 large oníon, cut ínto large wedges
- 1 (28-ounce) can tomatoes, we prefer to use whole peeled or crushed, see notes for fresh tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups water, low sodíum vegetable stock, or chícken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon fíne sea salt, or more to taste
- Melt butter over medíum heat ín a Dutch oven or large saucepan.
- Add oníon wedges, water, can of tomatoes wíth theír juíces, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Bríng to a símmer. Cook, uncovered, for about 40 mínutes. Stír occasíonally and add addítíonal salt as needed.
- Blend the soup, and then season to taste. The soup doesn’t need to be ultra-smooth, some texture ís a níce touch. An ímmersíon blender does make quíck work of thís, or you can use a blender. íf you use a regular blender, ít ís best to blend ín batches and not fíll the blender as much as you usually would sínce the soup ís so hot. We líke to remove the center ínsert of the líd and cover ít wíth a kítchen towel whíle blendíng — thís helps to release some of the steam and prevents the blender líd from poppíng off (whích can be a bíg, hot mess).