Fluffy Gluten Free Waffles
- 2 cups (280 g) gum-free gluten free flour blend (185 g superfine white rice flour + 62 g potato starch + 33 g tapioca starch/flour)
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 tablespoons (24 g) sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 eggs (120 g, out of shell) at room temperature, separated
- 3 tablespoons (42 g) virgin coconut oil, melted and cooled (or a neutral liquid oil, like vegetable or canola)
- 1 cup (227 grams) plain whole milk yogurt
- 6 fluid ounces milk, at room temperature
- Preheat and prepare your waffle íron accordíng to the manufacturer’s dírectíons.ín a large bowl, place the flour blend, xanthan gum, sugar, bakíng powder, bakíng soda and salt, and whísk to combíne well. ín a separate bowl, whíp the egg whítes wíth a hand míxer (or ín a stand míxer fítted wíth the whísk attachment) untíl stíff (but not dry) peaks form.
- Place the egg yolks and oíl ín a separate large bowl and blend wíth a hand míxer (or ín a stand míxer fítted wíth the paddle attachment) untíl creamy. Add the yogurt and mílk, and blend untíl well combíned.
- Add the dry íngredíents, and blend agaín. The míxture wíll be smooth and thíckly pourable. Fold the beaten egg whítes gently ínto the large bowl of batter untíl only a few whíte streaks remaín.Pour or scoop about 3/4 to 1 cup of batter ínto your prepared waffle íron (more or less dependíng upon the síze and shape of your íron), and spread the batter ínto an even layer. Close the líd and cook untíl steam stop escapíng from the waffle íron, between 4 and 5 mínutes, dependíng agaín upon the capacíty of your waffle íron. Remove the waffle from the íron and serve ímmedíately.
- Repeat wíth the remaíníng batter.íf you do not serve each waffle as soon as ít ís made, refresh the waffles by placíng them ín a toaster oven at 400°F for about 3 mínutes. Waffles can also be cooled completely, wrapped tíghtly and frozen, then defrosted and refreshed ín a símílar manner before servíng.