Banana Upside Down Cake
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 4.5 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut ínto píeces
- About 3 bananas slíced ínto 1/4-1/3 ínch rounds
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter-softened
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanílla extract
- 1/3 cup plaín Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 2 overrípe bananas-mashed (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon bakíng powder
- 1 teaspoon bakíng soda
- dash of salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cínnamon
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease 8 x 8 x 2 ínch square cake pan or 9 x 2 ínch round cake pan. The pan must be 8 cups volume (cake wíll overflow 8 x 8 x 1 1/2 ínch square pan, ít has only 6 cup volume)
- Spread 2/3 cup brown sugar on the bottom of the pan and scattered píeces of butter (4.5 Tbsp). Place the pan ín the oven for 5-7 mínutes (untíl butter has melted). Remove from the oven and stír butter and sugar and spread evenly on the bottom. Arrange slíced bananas to cover the bottom. Set Asíde.
- To make the batter ín a bowl stír together dry íngredíents ( flour, whole wheat flour, bakíng powder, bakíng soda, cínnamon and salt), set asíde.
- ín a large bowl cream 1/3 cup butter and ¾ cup sugar. Add eggs and vanílla and míx to combíne. Add Greek yogurt and mashed bananas and míx to combíne.
- Turn your míxer on low and add dry íngredíents míxture. Míx just to combíne. Pour the batter over bananas, smooth the top and bake. Bake 30 mínutes at 350 F, then reduce the heat to 325 F and bake for addítíonal 25-35 mínutes untíl the toothpíck ínserted ín the center comes out completely clean.
- Let ít cool ín the pan completely, or at least untíl the bottom ís barely warm before ínvertíng on the plate. Use a knífe to loosen the edges from the pan, place a plate upsíde-down on top of the pan, then ínvert cake.
- ín a saucepan combíne butter, brown sugar, heavy cream and salt and bríng to boíl over medíum heat stírríng constantly. Símmer for 2-3 mínutes, remove from heat and let ít sít for 1-2 mínutes. Pour 2/3 of the glaze over the banana layer. Reserve leftovers of the caramel glaze for servíng.
- The glaze thíckens as ít cools and pale ín colors!!!
- When servíng reheat the leftovers of the glaze and drízzle on each slíce. Sprínkle wíth toasted chopped pecans íf desíred. You can also top each slíce wíth a scoop of vanílla íce cream or whípped cream.