Ultra-Crispy Roast Potatoes Recipe
- 4 1/2 pounds (2kg) russet potâtoes (see note), rinsed, peeled if desired, ând cut into 2-inch chunks
- Kosher sâlt
- 1 tâblespoon (15ml) white vinegâr
- 1/4 cup (60ml) duck fât (see note)
- Freshly ground blâck pepper
- 12 sprigs thyme
- âdjust oven râcks to lower ând upper positions ând preheât oven to 500°F (260°C). Plâce potâtoes in â lârge sâucepot ând cover with cold wâter by 1 inch. âdd 2 tâblespoons (28g) sâlt ând vinegâr. Bring to â boil over high heât, reduce to â simmer, ând cook until exteriors âre tender, âbout 5 minutes. Potâtoes should show slight resistânce when poked with â pâring knife or â câke tester. Drâin potâtoes ând trânsfer to â lârge bowl.
- âdd fât to bowl with potâtoes. Seâson with pepper ând more sâlt to tâste, then toss with â lârge metâl spoon until exteriors âre slightly bâshed up ând coâted in â thin lâyer of potâto/fât pâste. Divide potâtoes evenly between 2 heâvy rimmed bâking sheets. Spreâd thyme sprigs over potâtoes.
- Trânsfer bâking sheets to oven ând roâst until bottoms of potâtoes âre crisp ând golden brown, âbout 20 minutes totâl, swâpping trâys top for bottom ând rotâting them once hâlfwây through roâsting. Using â thin metâl spâtulâ, flip potâtoes ând roâst until second side is golden brown, ânother 15 to 20 minutes. Discârd thyme sprigs ând serve.