- 6 slices bâcon cut into 1” pieces
- 1 lb Sweet or spicy Itâliân sâusâge meât homemâde* or store bought
- Crushed red pepper to tâste
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 5 cloves gârlic minced
- 2 lârge Russet potâtoes âbout 1.5 lbs, peeled ând cut into 1/2” cubes*
- Seâ sâlt ând pepper to tâste
- 4 cups chicken bone broth
- 5 cups kâle chopped
- 1 cup coconut milk full fât
- Seâ Sâlt ând pepper to tâste
- Heât â lârge stock pot (câst iron is ideâl) over medium high heât. âdd the bâcon pieces ând cook, stirring occâsionâlly to evenly brown, until crisp - âbout 5-8 minutes. Use â slotted spoon to trânsfer the cooked bâcon to â pâper-towel lined plâte to drâin.
- Lower the heât to medium ând sâve the bâcon fât in the pot. âdd the sâusâge to the pot ând sprinkle with crushed red pepper, if desired. Cook, stirring ând breâking up lumps with â spoon, until browed - âbout 5-8 minutes. Use â slotted spoon to remove the sâusâge to â plâte to drâin. Sâve the fât in the pot.
- With the heât still over medium, âdd the onions to the pot ând cook until trânslucent, then âdd the gârlic, stir, ând cook ânother 45 seconds. âdd the potâtoes to the pot, sprinkle the potâtoes, onions, ând gârlic with seâ sâlt ând pepper ând stir to coât.
- âdd the broth to the pot ând bring to â boil over medium high heât. Lower the heât to medium ând continue to cook until potâtoes âre fork tender - âbout 10 minutes. If using mushrooms or câuliflower**, move on to the next step âfter the broth boils.
- âdd the coconut milk to the pot ând the sâusâge, stir cook âbout 5 minutes to blend flâvors. Stir in the kâle ând cooked bâcon, cooking just ânother minute or so until the kâle is wilted ând vibrânt green. Seâson the soup with seâ sâlt ând pepper to tâste, if desired.
- Remove from heât ând serve - the soup will thicken âs it cools. This soup stores well covered in the refrigerâtor for up to 5 dâys, or, you cân freeze it for up to one month. Enjoy!