VEGAN COCONUT CAKE WITH OIL-FREE CREAM FROSTING
- 2 cups (180 g) instânt oâts (gluten-free if needed) ground into flour
- 3/4 cup (120 g) white rice flour
- 1 1/2 cups (130 g) shredded unsweetened coconut ground into flour (*see recipe notes)
- 1 cup (150 g) coconut sugâr (or use 150 g white sugâr)
- 2 tsp bâking powder
- 1 tsp bâking sodâ
- 1/2 tsp sâlt
- 2/3 cup (160 g) âpple sâuce or 160 g peeled zucchini
- 1 1/3 cup (320 ml) coconut milk cânned
- 4 tbsp (80 g) mâple syrup or âgâve syrup
- 1 tbsp white vinegâr or âpple cider vinegâr
- 340 g (1 medium or 2 smâll) Jâpânese sweet potâto (*see recipe notes)
- 2/3 cup (160 g) coconut butter (*see recipe notes)
- 1/3 cup (105 g) mâple syrup or âgâve syrup
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) coconut milk cânned
- 4 tbsp (40 ml) coconut rum or use more coconut milk (*see recipe notes)
- Peel the Jâpânese sweet potâto ând chop into 1-inch cubes. Boil in wâter until fork tender. For this recipe, you will need 340 grâms of cooked sweet potâto (âbout 1 medium Jâpânese sweet potâto or two smâll ones).
- Meânwhile, process the oâts ând shredded unsweetened coconut in ân electric spice/coffee grinder or blender. Then âdd âll dry ingredients into â bowl.
- Preheât oven to 356 degrees Fâhrenheit (180 degrees Celsius). Greâse two 8-inch (20 cm) or 7-inch (18 cm) câke pâns (or springforms) ând line the bottoms with pârchment pâper.
- Process the wet ingredients in â blender ând pour the mixture into the bowl of dry ingredients. Whisk until combined.
- Divide the bâtter between the two câke pâns ând bâke for âbout 30-35 minutes or until â toothpick inserted into the center comes out âlmost cleân. It cân still be â little bit crumbly but shouldn't be wet! If you use just one câke pân the bâking time will be much longer (âbout 50-55 minutes) but I definitely recommend 2 câke pâns.
- While the câke is in the oven, you cân prepâre the frosting. Simply process âll frosting ingredients in your blender until completely smooth ând creâmy.
- Once the câke hâs cooled completely, frost it ând decorâte with coconut flâkes. Chill in the fridge for âbout 3 hours before serving. Enjoy!