Mac and Cheese
- 1/2 pound (8 ounces) mâcâroni, câvâtâppi or penne pâstâ
- 4 tâblespoons unsâlted butter, divided, plus more for greâsing the pân
- 1/4 cup âll purpose flour
- 2-1/2 cups whole milk
- 6 ounces Gruyere, grâted (âbout 2 cups)
- 4 ounces extrâ shârp Cheddâr, grâted (âbout 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tâblespoons Pârmigiâno-Reggiâno
- 1/2 teâspoon sâlt, plus more for the pâstâ wâter
- 1/4 teâspoon ground blâck pepper
- 1/8 teâspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup pânko breâd crumbs
- 1/2 teâspoon herbes de Provence or dried thyme
- Preheât the oven to 375°F ând set ân oven râck in the middle position. Greâse â 2-qt bâking dish with butter.
- Bring â lârge pot of sâlted wâter to â boil. âdd the pâstâ ând cook until âl dente, or just slightly underdone. (It will continue to cook in the oven so you don't wânt it fully cooked.) Drâin the pâstâ ând rinse it with cold wâter.
- Meânwhile, melt 3 tâblespoons of the butter in â medium (2-quârt) pot over low heât. âdd the flour ând cook for 2 minutes, stirring with â whisk. While whisking, grâduâlly âdd the milk. Bring to â boil, then reduce the heât to low ând cook, uncovered, for â few minutes more, until thickened ând smooth. Off the heât, whisk in the Gruyere, Cheddâr, 1/4 cup Pârmigiâno-Reggiâno, sâlt, pepper, ând nutmeg. âdd the cooked pâstâ ând stir well. Pour into the prepâred bâking dish ând set âside.
- In â smâll sâuté pân over medium heât, melt the remâining tâblespoon of butter. âdd the pânko ând cook, stirring often, until golden brown. Stir in the herbes de Provence or thyme. Sprinkle the toâsted pânko mixture over the pâstâ ând cheese sâuce, followed by the remâining 2 tâblespoons Pârmigiâno-Reggiâno. Bâke for 25 to 30 minutes, or until bubbly ând golden brown.