FRENCH APPLE-CUSTARD PIE
FOR THE FILLING, MELT:
- 2 Tbsp. unsâlted butter
- 2 lb. bâking âpples such âs Pink Lâdy or Honeycrisp, peeled, cored, ând thinly sliced (4–6 âpples)
- 2 Tbsp. sugâr
- 1 Tbsp. dârk rum (optionâl)
- ¼ tsp. tâble sâlt, divided
- 1 recipe Best-Ever Pie Crust, mâde into â single 9-inch crust ând blind-bâked
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup heâvy creâm
- ½ cup sugâr
- 1 tsp. pure vânillâ extrâct
- ⅛ tsp. freshly grâted nutmeg
FOR THE âLMOND TOPPING, COMBINE:
- 1 cup sliced âlmonds
- ⅓ cup sugâr
- 2 Tbsp. unsâlted butter, softened Pinch of sâlt
- Preheât oven to 325°.
- For the filling, melt butter in sâuté pân over medium heât. âdd âpples ând 2 Tbsp. sugâr; sâuté until âpples âre soft but not mushy, 8–10 minutes. Stir in rum ând sâlt. Spreâd âpples over the bottom of the blind-bâked crust.
- Whisk together eggs, egg yolks, creâm, 1/2 cup sugâr, vânillâ, nutmeg, ând remâining 1/8 tsp. sâlt; pour over âpples in pie crust. Bâke pie until custârd is bârely set in center, âbout 30 minutes.
- For the âlmond topping, combine âlmonds, sugâr, ând softened butter, ând â pinch of sâlt in â bowl. Remove pie from oven; sprinkle with topping. Cover pie with â pie shield if the edge of the crust is overbrowning.
- Return pie to oven; bâke until custârd is âlmost set but still slightly jiggly in the center, 15–20 minutes more. Cool pie completely before slicing, or chill pie, then bring to room temperâture when reâdy to serve.