Chicken Burrito Casserole
cashew cheese sauce:
- 1 1/2 cups cashews no need to soak
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice about 2-3 lemons (you can use lime juice if you prefer)
- 2/3 cup warm water
- 1/3 cup avocado oil or light flavored olive oil
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp taco seasoning
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts cooked and shredded (about 2 1/2 cups cooked and shredded)
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 large red bell pepper diced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper minced
- 12 oz fresh cauliflower rice I buy mine pre-riced in the prepared veggie section of the store
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp taco seasoning I used Primal Palate
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice or lime juice
- 1 cup prepared salsa
- Cilantro and additional jalapeno for garnish
for the cashew cheese sauce:
- Place all ingredients in a high-speed blender or food processor. I used my NutriBullet for this and it was fast and easy. Blend on high speed until smooth and creamy, set aside.
for the burrito casserole:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9 x 13” casserole dish with avocado oil spray.
- Place your cooked and shredded chicken in a large bowl and set aside. Heat a large skillet over medium heat heat and add the oil. Once heated, add the peppers and onions, sprinkle with sea salt and pepper, and cook for a minute to soften. Once onions are translucent, add the garlic and jalapeno, stir, and cook for 30 more seconds.
- Add in your cauliflower rice and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper and the taco seasoning, stir to coat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-5 minutes or until tender-crisp. Add the lime juice and stir, cook another minute to reach the desired texture.
- Add the cheese sauce to the cooked shredded chicken and toss to coat. Place half of the cauliflower rice mixture in the bottom of the casserole dish, then spread 1/2 cup of the salsa over it. Top with 1/2 of the chicken/sauce mixture, followed by the remaining cauliflower rice mixture, salsa, and remaining chicken/sauce mixture. If you prefer the salsa on the top layer, that’s fine too. Add thinly sliced jalapeno pepper to the top and bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes to heat through.
- Serve hot and enjoy! Save leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.