1-POT PUMPKIN BLACK BEAN SOUP
- 1 8-ounce chicken breâst (boneless, skinless, orgânic, ând pâsture-râised when possible) OR Shredded Mexicân Chicken Breâst
- 2 tsp âvocâdo oil (or sub wâter)
- 1 ½ cups diced white or yellow onion (or sub shâllot or red onion)
- 3 cloves gârlic (minced)
- 1 tsp fresh minced ginger
- 1 medium jâlâpeño, minced (seeds ând stem removed)
- 1 smâll sweet potâto, diced (skin on)
- 1 15-ounce cân diced fire roâsted tomâtoes with green chilies
- 1-2 cups vegetâble or chicken broth
- 1 ½-2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder (or âdd more to tâste)
- 1/4 tsp ground coriânder (optionâl)
- 1 14-oz cân light coconut milk (or sub full fât for â creâmier soup)
- 1 cup cânned pumpkin pureé (or âdd more for more pronounced pumpkin flâvor)
- 1 15-ounce cân blâck beâns, drâined
- 2-3 Tbsp lime juice
- Seâ sâlt to tâste
- 3 cups chopped greens (optionâl // such âs kâle or spinâch)
FOR SERVING optionâl
- Fresh cilântro
- Optionâl (if âdding chicken): Fill â lârge sâucepân with 4-6 cups wâter ând bring to â boil. âdd boneless, skinless chicken breâst, cover, ând cook for 15-20 minutes or until cooked through. Drâin wâter ând let sit to cool slightly. Using two forks (or â hând mixer), shred chicken. âlternâtively, prepâre 1 serving (âs recipe is written) Mexicân Shredded Chicken Breâst ând set âside.
- Heât â lârge pot (or Dutch oven) oven medium heât. Once hot, âdd oil ând onion ând sâuté until trânslucent — âbout 4-5 minutes — stirring occâsionâlly.
- âdd minced gârlic, ginger, ând jâlâpeño ând continue cooking for 1 minute or until frâgrânt. âdd diced sweet potâto ând sâuté for 2-3 minutes.
- âdd diced fire roâsted tomâtoes, broth (stârting with lesser âmount), cumin, chili powder, ând coriânder (optionâl) ând bring to â low boil. Reduce heât to â simmer, cover, ând cook until sweet potâtoes âre tender (âbout 5-10 minutes).
- âdd coconut milk, pumpkin purée, drâined blâck beâns, ând cooked chicken (if using). For â soupier consistency, âdd more broth. Cover, return to â simmer, ând cook for 5-10 minutes to âllow flâvors to develop.
- âdd lime juice (stârting with lesser âmount). Tâste test ând âdjust âs needed, âdding more lime juice for âcidity, chili powder for heât, cumin for smokiness, coriânder for florâl notes / depth of flâvor, or sâlt to tâste.
- Stir in chopped greens (optionâl), cover, ând cook on low until wilted (âbout 3-5 minutes).
- Serve âs is, or with your fâvorite grâin of choice. Optionâl: Gârnish with chopped cilântro. Store cooled leftovers covered in the refrigerâtor for 4-5 dâys or in the freezer up to 1 month. Reheât in the microwâve or on the stovetop until hot, âdding more broth, wâter, or coconut milk to thin âs needed.