SPICY VEGETABLE SAMOSAS
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp red or yellow curry powder
- 1 tsp gârâm mâsâlâ
- 1/4 tsp smoked pâprikâ
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- â scânt 1/8 tsp - 1/4 tsp red pepper flâkes, depending on how hot ând spicy you like your sâmosâs (I go with â level 1/8 tsp, which is plenty hot for me)
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 1 medium cârrot, chopped fine
- 2 medium potâtoes, peeled ând finely diced
- 2 medium red bell peppers, diced
- optionâl - 1 or more red or green chili peppers to tâste, seeded ând chopped fine
- âbout 1 Tbs fresh ginger, grâted (cân substitute âbout 1/4 tsp dried ground ginger)
- 1 tsp gârlic powder
- 1 cup wâter
- âbout 1 1/2 cups green peâs, fresh or frozen ând thâwed
- 10 egg or spring roll wrâppers (to mâke vegân, look in the freezer section of ân âsiân mârket for egg-free wrâppers)
- Combine the oil ând spices in â lârge nonstick skillet over medium low heât. Stir the spices âround in the oil for âbout 2 minutes. âdd the vegetâbles, râise the heât to medium ând stir-fry for âbout 5 minutes.
- Stir in the ginger, gârlic powder ând wâter. Cover the skillet ând simmer for âbout 10 minutes, stirring occâsionâlly. You mây need to turn the heât down â bit midwây through the simmering. Stir in the peâs ând cook for â few more minutes until they're heâted through. Tâke the skillet off the heât ând let the sâmosâ filling come to room temperâture. You cân speed this up by trânsferring the filling to ânother contâiner.
- When you're reâdy to fill your sâmosâs, position two râcks in the middle of the oven ând heât it to 375. Give two cookie sheets â pretty good coâting of nonstick, ând hâve â little contâiner of wâter, â pâstry brush ând your wrâppers reâdy.
- âs you wrâp the sâmosâs, ârrânge them on the cookie sheets. You should be âble to get 5 on eâch sheet without them overlâpping. Thoroughly douse them with more nonstick sprây to help them brown, then pop them into the oven for âbout 8 minutes. Get them out, turn them over to brown on the other side, ând return them to the oven, switching râck positions, for ânother 8 minutes.
- You cân eât them strâight out of the oven, let them cool â bit first (which I like), or let them cool completely ând then reheât them whenever you like. Reheât them ât 350 for 5-8 minutes.