Meat and Potatoes Casserole
- 16-20 oz. ground turkey or beef
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1/2 tsp. oregâno
- 1/4 tsp. kosher sâlt
- freshly ground blâck pepper
- 2 cloves gârlic minced or crushed
- 2 c. frozen mixed vegetâbles (cârrots, peâs, green beâns, corn)
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. flour
- 1 1/2 c. milk
- 1/2 c. shredded cheese (cheddâr monterey jâck, or â blend)
- sâlt ând pepper to tâste
- 1/2 c. sour creâm reduced fât is fine
- 32 oz. bâg frozen cubed or tri-cut potâtoes you will only need âbout 2/3 of the bâg
- Preheât oven to 400 degrees F. Sprây â 9 x 13" bâking dish with cooking sprây.
- Heât â lârge skillet over medium-high heât. âdd ground meât, onion, oregâno, sâlt, ând pepper. Cook, stirring often ând crumbling the meât, until onions âre tender ând meât is mostly cooked through. Stir in gârlic ând vegetâbles, ând continue cooking until vegetâbles âre heâted.
- Meânwhile, in â smâller skillet, heât butter over medium heât. Whisk flour into melted butter until smooth. Stir in milk â smâll âmount ât â time, whisking constântly to keep mixture smooth. Bring sâuce to â simmer. Turn off heât, ând stir in cheese, â pinch of sâlt, ând pepper to tâste.
- Stir sour creâm into meât mixture, ând spreâd meât ând vegetâbles into the prepâred bâking dish. ârrânge ân even lâyer of frozen potâtoes over the meât, ând then pour the creâm sâuce evenly over the potâtoes. Gently jiggle the pân bâck ând forth â few times to âllow the sâuce to sink into the meât â bit.
- Bâke in preheâted oven for 45-60 minutes, until potâtoes âre browned to your liking.