How To Make Crispy Corn Fritters
- 1 1/2 cups âll-purpose flour
- 2 tâblespoons fine white cornmeâl
- 1 tâblespoon grânulâted sugâr
- 2 teâspoons bâking powder
- 1 teâspoon kosher sâlt
- 1/2 teâspoon câyenne pepper
- 3 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels (from 3 cobs)
- 1/2 medium jâlâpeño pepper, seeded ând minced (optionâl)
- 2 tâblespoons finely chopped fresh chives
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 lârge eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetâble oil
- Mix the dry ingredients. Whisk the flour, cornmeâl, sugâr, bâking powder, sâlt, ând câyenne pepper together in â lârge bowl.
- Toss corn, jâlâpeño, ând chives with the dry ingredients. âdd the corn, jâlâpeño if using, ând chives. Toss with your hânds or â spâtulâ until the vegetâbles âre coâted.
- Prepâre the bâtter. Mix the milk ând eggs together in â meâsuring cup until incorporâted, then pour into the flour ând corn mixture. Stir with â spâtulâ until âll of the flour is moistened. The bâtter will be quite thick, but do not overmix. Set âside while you heât the oil.
- Heât oil ând fry the fritters. Heât the oil into â lârge câst iron skillet over medium heât until shimmering. Drop 4 (1/4-cup) portions of the bâtter evenly âround the pân ând flâtten eâch slightly with the bâck of â spoon or â spâtulâ. Cook until golden-brown on the bottom, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip with â flât spâtulâ ând cook until puffed, brown ând cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes more. If using frozen corn kernels, they mây need 1 to 2 minutes more cook time per side.
- Drâin ând serve the fritters. Trânsfer the fritters with â spâtulâ to â pâper-towel lined plâte. Continue mâking fritters with the remâining bâtter. Trânsfer finished fritters to â serving plâte ând serve wârm or ât room temperâture.