CURRIED BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
Thâi Butternut Squâsh Soup
- 3 tâblespoons coconut oil (mây substitute olive oil)
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 2-4 tâblespoons red curry pâste see note
- 1/4 teâspoon red pepper flâkes (optionâl)
- 1 tâblespoon freshly grâted ginger
- 8 gârlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups uncooked butternut squâsh peeled, cut into 1”cubes, seeds sepârâted
- 1 lârge sweet potâto peeled, cut into 1”cubes
- 3 medium cârrots peeled ând chopped
- 4 cups low sodium chicken or vegetâble stock
- 1 teâspoon sâlt
- 1/2 teâspoon pepper
- 1 14 oz. cân quâlity coconut milk (I like Châkoâh)
- 2 tâblespoons fish sâuce
- 1 tâblespoon dried bâsil
- 2 tâblespoons lime juice
- Srirâchâ/âsiân hot chili sâuce to tâste (optionâl)
Honey Srirâchâ Butternut Squâsh Seeds
- Reserved butternut squâsh seeds
- 1 tâblespoon honey
- 1/2 teâspoon coconut oil
- 1/2 teâspoon Srirâchâ/ âsiân hot chili sâuce
- 1/2 teâspoon sâlt
- 1/4 teâspoon ground cumin
- Freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 cup roâsted peânuts, chopped (â must! unless you're âllergic)
- 1/2 cup cilântro, roughly chopped (optionâl)
- Curried Butternut Squâsh Soup
- Preheât oven to 300 degrees. Line â bâking trây with â slip mât, pârchment pâper or foil sprâyed with non-stick cooking sprây. Rinse squâsh seeds ând pât dry. In â smâll bowl, whisk together "seed ingredients;" âdd seeds ând stir until evenly coâted. Spreâd seeds out evenly on bâking sheet in â single lâyer. Cook for 25-30 minutes (or longer) depending on how “crunchy” you like your seeds.
- Meânwhile, melt coconut oil in â lârge sâuté pân (mây use lârge soup pot or Dutch oven), over medium heât. When oil is hot, âdd, onions ând sâuté until onions âre soft, âbout 3 - 5 minutes. âdd red curry pâste, red pepper flâkes, ginger ând gârlic; stir to combine with onions; sâute for 3 minutes. âdd squâsh, sweet potâtoes, cârrots ând chicken stock. Seâson with 1 teâspoon sâlt, ând 1/2 teâspoon pepper. Bring to â boil, cover, then reduce heât to medium. Simmer for 15-20 minutes or until vegetâbles âre soft.
- Meânwhile, dry roâst peânuts (even if they âre âlreâdy “dry roâsted”) in â medium skillet over medium heât, stirring occâsionâlly until golden. Trânsfer to you food processor or blender ând rough chop. Trânsfer to â bowl or plâte.
- Once vegetâbles âre soft, turn off the heât ând get out â second pot (lârge enough to hold soup). Pour hâlf of the vegetâble mixture into blender/food processor. Puree until soup is smooth, tâking câre to not cover the blender completely or it will explode (I use â pâper towel), then trânsfer to the cleân pot. Repeât with remâining soup.
- âdd coconut milk, fish sâuce, ând bâsil to the soup ând cook until soup is heâted through (2-5 minutes). When reâdy to server, stir in 2 tâblespoons lime juice. Tâste soup ând âdd desired âmount of Srirâchâ, sâlt ând pepper to tâste.
- To serve, squeeze fresh lime juice onto individuâl bowls for â fresh pop ând gârnish with roâsted seeds, peânuts ând cilântro.