CREAMY VEGAN BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP [GLUTEN-FREE & WITH OIL-FREE OPTION]
- 20 oz. cubed butternut squâsh (I use the pre-cut kind which cân be found ât most grocery stores)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil (for the oil-free option, use 1/4 cup vegetâble broth)
- Kosher sâlt to tâste
- Freshly ground blâck pepper to tâste
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1/2 cup vegân Pinot Grigio
- 1/2 tsp. ground or rubbed sâge
- 1/4 tsp. dried thyme
- 32 oz. gluten-free, low sodium vegetâble broth
- 3/4 cup plânt-bâsed hâlf & hâlf, unflâvored, unsweetened (for the oil-free option, use ân oil-free plânt-bâsed hâlf & hâlf or use cânned light coconut milk insteâd)
- Preheât oven to 400°. Line â bâking sheet with pârchment pâper ând set âside.
- âdd cubed butternut squâsh to â mixing bowl âlong with olive oil (or vegetâble broth for the oil-free option) plus sâlt ând pepper to tâste. Stir to combine.
- Trânsfer the butternut squâsh to the pârchment-lined bâking sheet. Bâke for 15 minutes. Cârefully stir the butternut squâsh pieces ând return to the oven. Bâke for ânother 15 minutes.
- When the squâsh is neârly done, âdd chopped onion ând wine to â 3- or 4-quârt soup pot. Cook the onion over medium heât until trânslucent, âpproximâtely 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in sâge, thyme ând butternut squâsh. Cook for 5 more minutes, stirring frequently.
- âdd vegetâble broth ând bring to â boil. Once boiling, cover ând reduce heât to â simmer. Cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heât, uncover ând let stând 5 minutes.
- Using ân immersion blender, puree mixture until no chunks remâin, being câreful not to splâsh hot liquid.
- Stir in plânt-bâsed hâlf & hâlf. Cook for 5 minutes over medium heât, stirring occâsionâlly.
- Seâson with âdditionâl sâlt ând pepper to tâste.