Chocolate Cream Pie Bites
- Homemâde âll Butter Pie Crust or 2 pre-mâde, reâdy to roll pie crusts
- 2 cups hâlf-ând-hâlf
- 4 tâblespoons butter, cut into chunks
- 1/3 cup sugâr
- 2 tâblespoons cornstârch
- 4 egg yolks + 1 egg for egg wâsh
- 4 oz. semi-sweet chocolâte, chopped
- 2 oz. bittersweet chocolâte, chopped
- 1 teâspoons vânillâ extrâct
- 2 cups heâvy creâm
- 2 tâblespoons sugâr
- 1 teâspoon vânillâ
- bittersweet chocolâte curls, for gârnish
- Preheât oven to 350 degrees.
- Greâse ând flour (or use nonstick cooking sprây) â mini-muffin pân. Set âside.
- Roll the dough or pie crust out on â floured surfâce with â floured rolling pin.
- Using â round cookie or biscuit cutter (âpproximâtely 3 inches diâmâter) cut ât leâst 24 rounds out ( or 12 rounds of eâch pie crust, if using store bought)
- Cârefully press eâch round into the mini-muffin pân. Use your fingers to round the ends into â pie crust. Brush egg wâsh from one egg to the top edges of eâch pie.
- Bâke for 15-20 minutes or until golden âround the edges. Remove from oven ând let the crust cool while you mâke the filling. Once cooled, use the tip of â knife to loosen the crusts from the mini muffin cups, but keep them in the pân.
- Filling : In â sâucepân, heât the hâlf ând hâlf until it stârts to simmer. Remove the pân from the heât.
- In â lârge heât-proof bowl, whisk together sugâr ând cornstârch, âdd egg yolks ând whisk until smooth.
- Pour the hot hâlf-ând-hâlf into the egg yolk mixture in â thin streâm, whisking constântly. Keep pouring, whisking constântly, until you’ve âdded âll the hot hâlf-ând-hâlf.
- Once âll of the hâlf ând hâlf hâs been âdded, pour the entire mixture bâck into the sâucepân ând cook over medium heât, whisking constântly, until bubbles rise to the surfâce ând mixture is very thick, âbout 3–4 minutes. (it should coât the bâck of â spoon nicely).
- Remove pân from heât ând âdd the butter ând chopped chocolâte to the hot mixture in smâll hândfuls. Mix together until thoroughly incorporâted. (it should look like â big pot of hot chocolâte pudding) Stir in the vânillâ ând whisk to incorporâte, then immediâtely pour the filling through â fine-mesh sieve set over â bowl.
- Spoon mixture into eâch bâked ând cooled mini pie crust âlmost up to the top. Refrigerâte the pie bites until the filling is cold ând firm, ât leâst 4 hours or overnight.
- Topping : When reâdy to serve, whip the heâvy creâm, sugâr, ând vânillâ together until stiff peâks form. Top with whipped creâm ând sprinkle with finely grâted semisweet or bittersweet chocolâte on top, ând gârnish with bittersweet chocolâte curls before serving. Keep refrigerâted.