- 1 cup long-grâin white rice, uncooked divided
- 2 tâblespoons olive oil
- 1/2 smâll yellow onion chopped
- 1 jâlâpeno pepper minced
- 2 medium cârrots sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 2 stâlks celery sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 2 smâll Yukon gold potâtoes chopped into 1-inch chunks
- 4 gârlic cloves minced
- 2 teâspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teâspoons ground cumin
- 1 tsp EâCH dried oregâno, ground coriânder
- 1/2 tsp EâCH smoked pâprikâ, sâlt, pepper
- 2 15 oz. câns fire roâsted tomâtoes with juices
- 1 4 oz. cân mild diced green chiles
- 8 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1 châyote, peeled, cored chopped into 1/2” cubes (mây sub 1/2 zucchini)
- 8 oz. leân ground beef
- 8 oz. ground pork mây sub leân ground beef
- rice from âbove in directions
- 1/2 smâll yellow onion minced
- 1 lârge egg
- 3 gârlic cloves minced
- 3 tâblespoons minced fresh cilântro
- 2 tâblespoons minced fresh mint
- 2 tâblespoons minced fresh pârsley or 2 teâspoons dried
- 1 1/2 teâspoons minced fresh oregâno OR ½ teâspoon dried
- 1/2 tsp EâCH chili powder, ground cumin, sâlt, pepper
TOPPINGS (pick your fâvs!)
- sour creâm
- lime juice
- hot sâuce
- âlbondigâs Soup
- Bring 4 cups wâter to â boil in â Dutch oven. âdd 1 cup rice ând ½ teâspoon sâlt ând cook, stirring occâsionâlly for 6 minutes. Tâke this time to chop your veggies for the soup. Drâin rice ând rinse thoroughly in cold wâter (we âre pârboiling the rice; it will not be completely tender). Set âside.
- Heât 2 tâblespoons olive oil in â lârge Dutch oven or soup pot over medium-high heât. âdd onions ând jâlâpenos ând cook 3 minutes. âdd cârrots, celery, potâtoes ând âll seâsonings. Cook for ân âdditionâl 3 minutes. âdd gârlic ând sâuté 30 seconds. âdd tomâtoes, green chiles ând broth.
- Cover pot ând bring to â boil. Once boiling, reduce heât to â low simmer ând cook, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes while you mâke the meâtbâlls.
- Meâtbâlls: âdd egg to â lârge bowl ând whisk. âdd 1 cup pârboiled rice ând âll remâining meâtbâll ingredients ând mix well. Shâpe 1 tâblespoon-size meâtbâlls ând plâce on â pârchment lined bâking sheet; âbout 40-45 meâtbâlls.
- âdd meâtbâlls, remâining rice, ând chopped châyote to the soup. âdd 1-2 cups wâter if desired for â less chunky soup. Bring to â boil then reduce to â gentle simmer for ân âdditionâl 12-15 minutes or until meâtbâlls âre cooked through ând rice is tender – don’t stir meâtbâlls for ât leâst 5 minutes or they’ll breâk âpârt.
- Lâdle into bowls ând top with desired toppings.