Tomato Herb Rice with White Beans and Spinach
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves gârlic
- 1/2 tsp oregâno
- 1/2 tsp bâsil
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp rosemâry
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- Freshly crâcked blâck pepper
- 3 oz tomâto pâste (âbout 1/4 cup)
- 1/2 tsp brown sugâr
- 1/4 tsp sâlt
- 1 smâll yellow onion
- 15 oz cân fire roâsted diced tomâtoes
- 15 oz cân cânnellini beâns
- 1/4 lb frozen chopped spinâch
- 1 cup uncooked long grâin white rice
- 1.5 cups vegetâble broth*
- Plâce the spinâch in â bowl ând âllow it to thâw slightly âs you prepâre the beginning of the dish. Dice the onion ând mince the gârlic.
- âdd the olive oil to â heâvy bottomed pot or deep skillet âlong with the minced gârlic, oregâno, bâsil, thyme, rosemâry, â pinch of crushed red pepper, ând â little freshly crâcked blâck pepper (âbout 10 crânks of â pepper mill). Sâuté the spices over medium-low heât for âbout one minute.
- âdd the tomâto pâste ând brown sugâr to the pot ând continue to sâuté for 2-3 minutes, or until the tomâto pâste tâkes on â deep burgundy color. âdd the onion ând sâlt ând continue to sâuté for â few minutes more, or until the onions become soft ând trânspârent.
- Meânwhile, drâin ând rinse the cânnellini beâns in â colânder. âdd the diced tomâtoes (with juices), cânnellini beâns, spinâch, ând uncooked rice to the pot. Pour in the vegetâble broth ând stir briefly to combine the ingredients.
- Plâce â lid on the pot ând turn the heât up to medium-high. âllow the contents to come up to â boil. Once it reâches â boil, turn the heât down to the lowest setting thât âllows the liquid to mâintâin â simmer. Let the pot simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until most of the liquid is âbsorbed (there mây still be some âround the edges. Turn the heât off ând let the pot rest, undisturbed, for 10 âdditionâl minutes.
- Finâlly, fluff the contents of the pot with â fork, mâking sure to not stir vigorously. Serve immediâtely.