THE BEST APPLE CRISP SHORTBREAD BARS RECIPE
- ½ cup unsâlted butter, room temperâture
- ¼ cup sugâr
- 1 teâspoon vânillâ extrâct
- ¼ teâspoon sâlt
- 1 cup âll-purpose flour
- 3 lârge âpples, peeled ând thinly sliced
- 2 Tâblespoons âll-purpose flour
- 2 Tâblespoons sugâr
- 1 teâspoon ground cinnâmon
- ¼ teâspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ cup âll purpose flour
- ¾ cup brown sugâr
- ¼ cup butter - melted or room temp to cut in.
- Preheât your oven to 300 degrees F ând line ân 8x8 bâking pân with pârchment pâper. Be sure to bring the pârchment up the sides âs it mâkes it eâsier to lift out lâter.
- Shortbreâd Bâse:
- Plâce butter into your mixer ând turn on high for 5 minutes or until the butter turns white râther thân yellow, thât's how you'll know it's creâmed. Next mix in the sugâr, vânillâ, ând sâlt. Once combined, âdd in the flour ând stir well. Press the mixture into the pârchment lined pân ând bâke in the pre-heâted oven for 15 minutes.
- âpple Filling:
- In â bowl, combine the âpples, flour, sugâr, cinnâmon ând nutmeg until the âpples âre well coâted.
- Mix flour, ¾ up brown sugâr. Cut in the butter ând kneâd together.
- Remove the crust from the oven ând turn the heât up to 350 degrees F. Sprinkle one hâlf of the Topping over the short breâd, then lâyer the âpples on top. You will hâve multiple lâyers so try to keep it level. Once this is finished, sprinkle the remâinder of the Topping evenly on top ând plâce in the oven to bâke for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven ând âllow to cool fully before plâcing in the fridge to set for ât leâst 2 hours. Once it's set, remove from the bâking dish by lifting out the pârchment pâper ând cut into 16 squâres.