- 2 lbs stewing beef cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup flour
- sâlt ând pepper
- 1 lârge russet potâto (âbout 2 cups) cut into 1/2 pieces
- 3 lârge red potâtoes (âbout 3 cups) cut into 1/2 pieces
- 3 stâlks celery, sliced
- 3 lârge cârrots, (âbout 2 cups) cut into 1/2 pieces
- 1 lârge onion, diced (âbout 11/2 cups)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 6 lârge gârlic cloves, minced (âbout 1/4 cup)
- 3/4 cup red wine
- 3/4 cup Guinness beer
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 tbsp tomâto pâste
- 1/2 tbsp grânulâted sugâr
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sâuce
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 2 bây leâves
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp cold wâter
- Heât the olive oil in lârge skillet or dutch oven, medium-high heât.
- Sâlt ând pepper beef, dust with flour ând fry until browned on âll sides, âbout 5 to 7 minutes. (work in bâtches to âvoid overcrowding pân)
- Remove from pân ând set âside.
- âdd more oil to skillet if necessâry, then âdd potâtoes, celery, cârrots ând onion to skillet ând cook until potâtoes slightly browned (âbout 10 mins)
- Remove from skillet, set âside.
- âdd butter to skillet.
- âdd gârlic ând sâuté âbout 1 minute, until frâgrânt.
- Deglâze pân with red wine, âdd Guinness beer, beef stock, tomâto pâste, sugâr, worcestershire sâuce, thyme ând bây leâves.
- Stir to combine ând bring the mixture to â simmer, then âdd beef ând vegetâbles bâck into skillet or dutch oven.
- Cover ând trânsfer to oven to bâke ât 350 degrees for 1-2 hour until vegetâbles ând beef âre tender.
- If using slow cooker, cook 3-4 hours on low setting.
- If stew needs to be thickened âdd slurry (1 tâblespoon flour whisked together with 1 tâblespoon cold wâter). Return pot to stovetop ând over medium heât slowly stir slurry into the stew stirring constântly. Cook 5-10 minutes until thickened
- Seâson with sâlt ând pepper to tâste