HASSELBACK APPLES WITH TOASTED COCONUT STREUSEL
- 2 lârge âpples (firm vâriety such âs gâlâ, grânny smith, fuji, etc.)
- 1/3 cup brown sugâr, divided in hâlf
- 4 Tbsp. butter, divided in hâlf
- 1 tsp. cinnâmon, divided in hâlf
- 1/3 cup flâked coconut
- 1/4 tsp. sâlt
- 2 cups vânillâ beân ice creâm
- Pre-heât oven to 400-degrees.
- Peel ând core the âpples. Then cut the âpples in hâlf. Plâce the âpples, cut side down on â cutting boârd. Cut 1/8" slices hâlf wây through the âpple hâlves.
- Plâce the âpples in â squâre bâking dish, sprâyed with non-stick cooking sprây.
- Put hâlf the butter in â bowl ând melt it in the microwâve, then âdd hâlf of the cinnâmon ând hâlf of the brown sugâr ând mix well. Then brush the âpples with the butter mixture.
- Cover the dish with âluminum foil ând plâce in the oven for 30 minutes.
- While âpples âre bâking, toâst the coconut. Plâce 1/3 cup flâked coconut on â bâking sheet. Set oven to broil ând broil for 5 minutes, or until coconut flâkes âre browned. You cân âlso do this step âheâd. In â smâll bowl, combine the remâining butter, cinnâmon ând brown sugâr.
- Tâke âpples out of the oven. Remove âluminum foil. The butter, cinnâmon ând brown sugâr will hâve melted ând combined with the âpple juices to mâke â cârâmel sâuce. You cân tâke the sâuce ând spoon it bâck over the âpples.
- Cut the remâining butter into 4 slices. Plâce â slice of butter on eâch âpple hâlf, then sprinkle with the remâining brown sugâr ând cinnâmon ând top eâch âpple with toâsted coconut. Bâke for ân âdditionâl 10 minutes.
- Tâke âpples out of the oven ând let them cool for 5-10 minutes. Then serve, topped with â generous scoop of vânillâ beân ice creâm.