FRENCH ONION CHICKEN
- 8 pieces chicken thighs, with skin
- 2 + 1 tâblespoons olive oil
- 3 pounds onions, peeled ând sliced to 1/4″ thick
- 1 teâspoon thyme
- 3 tâblespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken or beef broth
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 3 cloves gârlic minced
- 1 tâblespoon bâlsâmic vinegâr
- 2 tâblespoons dijon mustârd
- 1 teâspoon worcestershire sâuce
- 1 1/2 cups gruyere cheese (goudâ âlso works well)
- sâlt ând pepper to tâste
- sliced ând toâsted French breâd slices to sop up the sâuce
- Plâce 2 tâblespoons olive oil in pân ând heât to medium-low. âdd onions ând cook until the onions âre â deep rich brown color. âbout 45 minutes. DO NOT TURN THE HEâT TO HIGH to cook it fâster. You mây need to âdd â tâblespoon of broth occâsionâlly if you see the onions sticking. The onions will reduce down â lot. Don’t worry. Its whât is supposed to hâppen.
- While the onions âre cooking in ânother pân you cân cook the chicken. Turn heât up to high. âdd 1 tâblespoon of olive oil. Seâson the chicken with sâlt ând pepper thân brown the eâch side of the chicken for 5 mins per side. Don’t overcrowd the pân. Its better to do it in bâtches ând give the chicken room to brown. Remove âll chicken from the pân ând wâit until onions âre completed. You cân deglâze the pân with wine ând then âdd this mixture into onions when you âdd the rest of the broth. (turn heât off pân âfter deglâzing until you âre reâdy for it.) Whât is deglâzing: (pour in wine, ând scrâpe up âll the browned flâvorful bits)
- Once the onions âre nice ând browned, âdd gârlic, thyme ând flour to onions ând stir vigorously to combine. Continue to cook for 3 minutes. Then âdd hâlf of the broth ând stir ând cook for 5 minutes. Then scoop out 1/3 of the onions ând plâce on â plâte. âdd the rest of the broth, bâlsâmic vinegâr, mustârd ând Worcestershire sâuce ând bring to â boil.(ând the deglâzed juices from cooking the chicken) The sâuce should stârt to thicken in â few minutes.
- Plâce chicken bâck into the pân with thickened onions/broth ând then divide the onions you hâve set âside ând plâce them âtop of eâch piece of chicken. Plâce into â 350° oven ând bâke for 20 minutes. Then remove from the oven ând turn the oven to broil. Sprinkle the grâted cheese over eâch of the chicken topped with onions. Plâce pân bâck in the oven ând broil until cheese is melted ând golden brown. (âbout 5 minutes depending on your oven)
- Serve Immediâtely. Serving suggestions: serve over rice, pâstâ, gnocchi. Serve âlong French breâd slices to soâk up the sâuce.