Roasted Garlic Mac and Cheese
- 14oz / 400g Elbow Macaroni (or other short-cut pasta)
- 4 cups / 1 litre Milk, at room temp
- 1 large bulb of Garlic
- 2 cups / 200g Sharp Cheddar, grated
- 2 cups / 200g Mozzarella, shredded
- 1 cup / 70g Parmesan, grated (save half for top)
- 1/2 cup / 30g Breadcrumbs, or as needed
- 3 tbsp Plain Flour
- 3 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 1 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- Fresh Chives, finely diced
- Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
- Olive Oil / Oil Spray
- Slice the tip off the garlic bulb to expose the cloves, drizzle with olive oil and wrap in foil. Pop in the oven for 45-60mins at 356f/180c or until golden brown and soft as butter.
- Squeeze out the garlic & mash with a pinch of salt to completely smooth it out. Add to a large saucepan with butter and stir to combine. Stir in flour to form a paste, then gradually pour in your milk, whisking as you go to avoid lumps. Once thickened, add mustard and seasoning, then stir in your cheeses (remember to save half parmesan).
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in salted boiling water until only JUST cooked. You want it still a bit hard. Reserve a cup of starchy pasta water (see notes) then drain and combine with cheese sauce.