Best Ever Paleo Thai Coconut Soup (Tom Kha Gai)
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1/2 onion sliced
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1/2 red jalapeno pepper sliced, or a couple Thai chiles, halved
- 3 quarter-inch slices slices galangal or ginger
- 1 lemongrass stalk pounded with the side of a knife and cut into 2-inch long pieces
- 2 teaspoons red Thai curry paste
- 4 cups chicken broth see Note 1 if vegan or on Whole30
- 4 cups canned coconut cream or coconut milk
- 2 medium chicken breasts cut into bite-sized pieces, see Note 2 for vegan/vegetarian or to use shrimp
- 8 oz. white mushroom caps sliced
- 1-2 Tbsp. coconut sugar if on Whole30, see Note 3
- 1 1/2 - 2 Tbsp. fish sauce plus more to taste, see Note 4 if on Whole30 or vegan
- 2-3 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 2-3 green onions sliced thin
- fresh cilantro chopped, for garnish
- In a medium pot, heat the coconut oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, chile, galangal or ginger, lemongrass, and red curry paste and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes, or until onions are softened.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce head and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Add in coconut cream or milk, chicken breast (or tofu or shrimp), and mushrooms.
Read more at https://40aprons.com/