- 10 ounces extra-firm tofu (organic when possible)
- 1 - 1 1/2 tsp each sea salt and ground black pepper
- 2-3 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (depending on preferred heat level)
- 2 tsp ground mustard seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds (lightly crushed)
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp coconut sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground anise
- 1 tsp A1 sauce or liquid smoke (optional)
- Cooking spray or olive oil for baking
- Wrap tofu in a clean towel and set something heavy on top - like a cast-iron skillet - to press out liquid for 10-15 minutes. Also preheat oven to 400 degrees F (204 C).
- Once pressed, cube tofu and add to a food processor along with sea salt, black pepper, red pepper flake, ground mustard, fennel seeds, smoked paprika, garlic powder, coconut sugar, ground anise, and A1 sauce/liquid smoke (optional). Mix/pulse to combine, scraping down sides as needed.
- Sample and adjust seasonings as needed, adding more salt for saltiness, red pepper flake for heat, paprika for smokiness, or coconut sugar for sweetness.
- Click here to view complete recipe