TOMATO HERB RICE WITH WHITE BEANS AND SPINACH
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp rosemary
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 3 oz tomato paste (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/2 tsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 small yellow onion
- 15 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 15 oz can cannellini beans
- 1/4 lb frozen chopped spinach
- 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 1.5 cups vegetable broth*
- Place the spinach in a bowl and allow it to thaw slightly as you prepare the beginning of the dish. Dice the onion and mince the garlic.
- Add the olive oil to a heavy bottomed pot or deep skillet along with the minced garlic, oregano, basil, thyme, rosemary, a pinch of crushed red pepper, and a little freshly cracked black pepper (about 10 cranks of a pepper mill). Sauté the spices over medium-low heat for about one minute.
- Add the tomato paste and brown sugar to the pot and continue to sauté for 2-3 minutes, or until the tomato paste takes on a deep burgundy color. Add the onion and salt and continue to sauté for a few minutes more, or until the onions become soft and transparent.
- Get complete recipe >> Click Here