IRISH COLCANNON POTATOES
- 2 1/2 pounds red-skinned potatoes scrubbed clean and quartered
- 3 teaspoons salt divided, plus additional to taste
- 6 tablespoons butter divided
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 of a good sized head of green cabbage roughly chopped (about 5 to 6 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper plus additional to taste
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup slightly warmed milk as needed
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 4 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- Add potatoes to a large pot or Dutch oven and cover with cool water by about 1" Add 2 teaspoons salt, cover, and turn heat to HIGH. Watch closely and when water reaches a boil, reduce heat to MEDIUM and cook at a low boil for 15 to 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender when pierced with a sharp knife, but not falling apart. Remove from heat and drain well. Transfer potatoes to a bowl and set aside.
- Add 2 tablespoons butter to dry pot, place over MEDIUM heat and when melted add garlic. Saute until fragrant and add chopped cabbage. Cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes, or until softened. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Remove from heat.
- Get complete recipe >> Click Here