Vegan Sweet Potato Pasta Sauce (creamy, cheesy)
This vegan sweet potato pasta sauce is a great way to still get the creaminess of the classic alfredo but in a lighter and vegan cheese sauce! The recipe is easy to make, dairy-free, gluten-free, and SO healthy!
- 12 oz any pasta (340 g) (gluten-free, if desired)
- chopped herbs (for garnish)
- Vegan Sweet Potato Sauce:
- 1 sweet potato (approx. 12 oz)
- ½ tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- ½ cup soaked cashews (75 g) or cashew butter (or sub coconut cream)
- 2/3 cup water (160 ml)
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes (optional)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika (optional)
- ½ tsp sea salt or more to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (optional)
- Soak the cashews for at least 3-4 hours. Otherwise, you can cover them with boiling water and soak for only approx. 15 minutes to speed up the process, or simply use cashew butter.
- Prick the sweet potato a few times with a fork and microwave until soft, for 6-7 minutes. (Optionally, bake the sweet potato in the oven at 425°F for about 50-60 minutes). Afterwards, peel it and scoop out the flesh.
- Cook pasta according to package directions in a salted pot of water.
- Click here to view complete recipe