Parmigiana di Melanzane
- 2 large aubergines/eggplant around (700g/ 1.5 lbs)
- 1.5 lbs (700g) passata/pureed tomatoes chunky/rustica*
- 1 white onion
- Small bunch of basil
- 8.8 oz (250g) mozzarella cheese , cut into cubes
- 3/4 cup (70g) parmesan cheese , freshly grated
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- flour for dusting
- sunflower oil for frying (around 1/2 litre)
- salt and pepper to season
- Thinly slice the aubergines removing the top and bottoms and place them in a colander. Sprinkle them lightly with salt and set them aside for 1 hour. This drains out any excess water and helps with frying.
- Meanwhile, make the simple tomato sauce. Finely chop 1 onion and sauté in a pan with the olive oil until translucent and soft but not browned. Add the tomato passata (pureed tomatoes) and a small bunch of basil torn with your hands. Add a pinch of salt and pepper, stir then let it simmer gently for 10-15 minutes. Set aside.
- Rinse the aubergines under cold water to remove the salt and pat them dry with a kitchen towel or paper. Lightly dust them with flour, shaking off any excess then fry them in sunflower oil for a few seconds each side, drain on kitchen paper to remove any excess oil.
- Get complete recipe >> Click Here