How to Make Perfect Scones
- 3 cups (381 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (66 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 sticks (170 grams) unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 1 cup buttermilk (or milk if you don't have buttermilk)
- 2 large eggs, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Coarse sugar, for sprinkling (if desired)
- Adjust the oven rack to the center position and preheat to 400°F. Line two baking pans with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- Add the butter and cut with a pastry cutter or a fork until the butter is the size of large peas.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the buttermilk, 1 egg, and vanilla extract.
- Make a well in the middle and add the liquid mixture. Mix until just combined. Don’t over mix. If adding in dried fruit, nuts, chocolate, or other flavorings do so now.
- Click here to get more instructions