classic italian bread
- 2¼ teaspoons (1 packet) Red Star active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup warm water (about 110 degrees F)
- 2½ cups bread or all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl or bowl of a stand mixer, combine yeast, sugar and warm water. Let stand 5 minutes until yeast is foamy.
- Add 2 cups flour, olive oil and salt. Stir with a wooden spoon or with a dough hook on low speed until a shaggy dough forms.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead by hand 10 minutes, adding just enough of the remaining flour until a soft, smooth and elastic dough forms; OR, increase dough hook speed to medium and knead dough in stand mixer 5 minutes, adding just enough of the remaining flour until a soft, smooth and elastic dough forms.
- Get full recipe >> Click Here