Super-Moist Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
This 'Depression-era' Chocolate Cake has a secret ingredient that was used as an economic substitution for butter and eggs and it gives this cake it's super-moist super powers and it's still one of the most preferred chocolate cake recipes out there today!
Super-Moist Chocolate Cake
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate do not exceed 61% cacao, chopped
- 1 cup unsweetened Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa Powder or regular unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 3/4 cups boiling water
- 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup dark brown sugar packed
- 1 1/3 cups mayonnaise do not use reduced-fat,fat-free or Miracle Whip, Hellman’s
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 1 1/4 cups butter softened
- 4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3/4 to 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder for dark frosting, use part Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa, about 4 tablespoons
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk or heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Butter and flour three 8" diameter cake pans with 1 1/2-inch-high sides, or two 9" pans.
- In a medium bowl, combine the chopped chocolate and cocoa powder, then whisk in boiling water until chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Read full recipe >> click here