LOW-CARB BAKED CHICKEN STUFFED WITH PESTO AND CHEESE
- 4 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 T Basil Pesto with Lemon or your favorite commercial pesto
- 4 T sour cream
- 4 T finely grated Mozzarella
- 2 eggs, beaten well
- 4 T finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 T almond flour
- fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C. Spray a small casserole dish with non-stick spray or oil.
- Trim any visible fat from chicken breasts, then put them one at a time inside a heavy plastic bag and pound with meat mallet (or something heavy) until the chicken is as thin as you can get it. Don’t worry too much about the shape or whether there are some loose pieces, you can tuck them in when you roll up the chicken.
- In a small bowl mix together the basil pesto, sour cream, and grated mozzarella.
- Prepare two bowls, one with the two beaten eggs and one with a mixture of the finely-grated Parmesan and the almond flour.
- Use a rubber scraper to spread a thin layer of the pesto mixture over each chicken breast, stopping about 1/2 inch from the edge of the chicken. (This will help prevent too much of the pesto mixture from running out when it cooks.
- Roll up the chicken breasts lengthwise and secure them with a couple of toothpicks. (I roll them so the finished piece is as thin as I can get it so they will cook quickly.)
- Dip each chicken breast roll first into the egg mixture and then into the Parmesan-almond flour mixture, patting it on so each chicken breast roll is well-coated with the mixture.
- Put chicken breasts into the casserole dish and bake until the chicken is firm and lightly browned. (Start checking after about 25 minutes
- Full Directions, Read HERE