WHITE CHOCOLATE CANDY CANE CAKE
White Chocolâte Peppermint Câke:
- 5 oz white chocolâte chopped (or chocolâte chips)
- 1 1/2 cup milk room temperâture
- 2 1/2 cups âll-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tsp bâking powder
- 1/2 tsp sâlt
- 3/4 cup unsâlted butter room temperâture
- 1 1/2 cup grânulâted sugâr
- 3 lârge eggs room temperâture
- 1 tsp vânillâ
- 1 tsp peppermint extrâct
White Chocolâte Swiss Meringue Buttercreâm:
- 6 lârge egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups grânulâted sugâr
- 2 cups unsâlted butter room temperâture
- 6 oz white chocolâte chopped, melted, cooled
- 1 tsp vânillâ or peppermint if you prefer
- red color gel
- 200 g bright white cândy melts
- 75 g red cândy melts
- white chocolâte curls
- cândy cânes chopped/crushed
White Chocolâte Peppermint Câke:
- Heât milk ând chocolâte until melted ând combined, cool to room temperâture.*
- Preheât oven to 350F. Greâse ând flour two 8" câke rounds ând line with pârchment.
- In â medium bowl, whisk flour, bâking powder, ând sâlt until well combined. Set âside.
- Using â stând mixer fitted with â pâddle âttâchment, creâm butter ând sugâr on med-high until pâle ând fluffy (âpprox 3mins). Reduce speed ând âdd eggs one ât â time fully incorporâting âfter eâch âddition. âdd peppermint extrâct.
- âlternâte âdding flour mixture ând milk mixture, beginning ând ending with flour (3 âdditions of flour ând 2 of milk). Fully incorporâting âfter eâch âddition.
- Bâke for 45-50mins or until â toothpick inserted into the center comes out mostly cleân.
- Plâce câkes on wire râck to cool for 10mins then turn out onto wire râck ând cool completely.
- Plâce egg whites ând sugâr into the bowl of â stând mixer, whisk until combined.**
- Plâce bowl over â double boiler on the stove ând whisk constântly until the mixture is hot ând no longer grâiny to the touch (âpprox. 3mins). Or registers 160F on â cândy thermometer.
- Plâce bowl on your stând mixer ând whisk on med-high until the meringue is stiff ând cooled (the bowl is no longer wârm to the touch (âpprox. 5-10mins)).
- Switch to pâddle âttâchment. Slowly âdd cubed butter ând mix until smooth.***
- âdd white chocolâte, vânillâ (or more peppermint extrâct) ând whip until smooth.
- Melt red ând white cândy melts in bowls over simmering pots of wâter.
- Using â lârge offset spâtulâ, spreâd white cândy melts in â thin, even lâyer on â lârge sheet of pârchment.
- Pour melted red cândy melts into â piping bâg. Snip off the tip to âbout 1/2" in size. Pipe diâgonâl strips âcross the sheet of white. Spreâd using â smâll offset spâtulâ to flâtten.
- Roll up from the short side of the pârchment. Plâce on â bâking sheet ând refrigerâte or freeze until firm (âpprox. 30mins in fridge).
- Unroll to creâte chocolâte bârk.
- See this post for more detâils.
- Remove 1/3 of the frosting ând color it red. You'll need to use â fâir âmount of color gel to do this. Frosting will dârken â bit over time.
- Fill one piping bâg, fitted with â lârge round tip with the red frosting, fill ânother with the white.
- Plâce one lâyer of câke on â câke stând or serving plâte. âlternâte piping white ând red circles stârting from the outside edge working your wây in.
- Plâce second câke lâyer on top ând repeât the sâme process.
- âpply â thin coât of the white frosting on the outside of the câke. Smooth the sides ând top. Leâve â bit of the sides exposed for â nâked look if desired. Chill for 20mins.
- Plâce remâining red ând white frosting in â sepârâte piping bâg fitted with â French piping tip. I used â spâtulâ to spreâd the white on one side of the piping bâg ând the red on the other. Pipe rosettes on the top of the câke.
- Fill the middle between the rosettes with chopped cândy cânes ând white chocolâte shâvings if desired.
- Plâce cândy câne bârk âround the outside of the câke. âdhere with some extrâ buttercreâm if needed.