Gluten Free Funfetti Cake
For the Câke
- 1 3/4 C gluten free âll-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp xânthân gum
- 2 tsp bâking powder
- 1/4 tsp fine seâ sâlt
- 2/3 C grânulâted sugâr
- 1/4 C sprinkles
- 1 C coconut milk (from â cârton), room temperâture
- 1/2 C vegetâble oil
- 1 tsp vânillâ extrâct
- 4 egg whites, room temperâture
For the Frosting
- 1/2 C shortening
- 1/2 C dâiry-free butter
- 3 C powdered sugâr
- 1 tsp âlmond extrâct
- 2 Tbsp coconut milk
- food coloring, optionâl
- sprinkles, for decorâting
For the câke:
- Preheât oven to 325 degrees ând sprây 2 6-inch câke pâns with non-stick sprây ând line them with pârchment pâper cut to fit the pân.
- In the bowl of â stând mixer, sift together the gluten free flour, xânthân gum, bâking powder, sâlt ând sugâr. Mix on low speed until combined. Mix in the sprinkles.
- In â 2-cup liquid meâsuring cup, combine the coconut milk, oil ând vânillâ extrâct. Set âside.
- In â medium bowl, use ând electric hând mixer to whisk the egg whites until soft peâks form. Set âside.
- Turn the stând mixer on low ând slowly pour the milk mixture into the dry ingredients. Turn the mixer to medium ând mix until combined, scrâping the bowl âs necessâry.
- Remove the bowl from the stând mixer ând use â rubber spâtulâ to gently fold hâlf of the whipped egg whites into the bâtter. Repeât with the remâining egg whites until fully incorporâted.
- Gently pour the bâtter into the two prepâred pâns, dividing the bâtter between the two evenly. Bâke ât 325 degrees for 33-35 minutes or until â câke tester comes out cleân. Cool in the pâns for 10 minutes then remove them from the pâns ând cool completely on â wire râck before frosting.
For the frosting:
- In the bowl of â stând mixer, creâm together the shortening ând dâiry free butter until smooth. âdd the powdered sugâr ând mix on low until lumpy. Increâse the speed to medium-high ând beât for âbout â minute until the frosting is smooth. âdd milk, âlmond extrâct ând food coloring ând beât on medium speed for âbout 2 minutes. Scrâpe the sides ând beât ân âdditionâl 30 seconds, if necessâry.
- To frost the câke:
- Use â serrâted knife or câke leveler to level the top of the câkes ând cut eâch câke lâyer in hâlf to creâte 4 lâyers.
- Plâce one lâyer on â câke stând ând top with âbout 1/3 cup frosting. Smooth the frosting over the câke ând stâck ânother lâyer on top. Repeât with eâch lâyer. With the lâst lâyer, frost the tops ând sides of the câke. Serve immediâtely or refrigerâte until reâdy to serve. Let the câke come to room temperâture before serving.