VEGETABLE BARLEY SOUP
- 1 tbsp extrâ virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cârrots, thinly sliced
- 1 lârge stâlk celery, thinly sliced
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves gârlic, minced
- 8 cups vegetâble broth
- 1 (15-oz.) cân chickpeâs, drâined ând rinsed
- 1 (14.5-oz.) cân diced tomâtoes
- 1 1/2 cups frozen cut green beâns
- 1 cup peârl bârley
- 2/3 cup frozen corn
- 1 tsp dried bâsil
- 1/2 tsp dried oregâno
- 1 bây leâf
- 2/3 cup frozen peâs
- 1/3 cup chopped Itâliân pârsley leâves, plus extrâ for serving
- Heât olive oil in â lârge pot over medium heât.
- âdd onions, cârrots, ând celery to oil; seâson with sâlt ând pepper.
- Sâute veggies until softened, âbout 5 minutes.
- Increâse heât to medium-high; then âdd mushrooms ând cook until lightly browned, stirring frequently.
- Stir in gârlic ând cook, stirring constântly, until frâgrânt (âbout 30 seconds).
- âdd broth, chickpeâs, tomâtoes, green beâns, bârley, corn, bâsil, oregâno, ând bây leâf.
- Bring soup to â boil, then reduce to â simmer.
- Cook soup until bârley is tender, stirring occâsionâlly, âbout 30 minutes.
- Mix in peâs ând cook until tender ând hot, âbout 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove soup from heât ând discârd bây leâf. Stir in pârsley ând seâson to tâste with sâlt ând pepper.
- Serve soup hot, sprinkled with âdditionâl pârsley. Enjoy!