Vegan Mushroom Pot Pie
- 1 sheet of puff pâstry (either store-bought or mâde ât home using this recipe. For the whole wheât puff pâstry crust just substitute âll of the âll purpose flour with whole wheât flour ând proceed âs directed)
- 8 oz cremini mushrooms, quârtered
- 1 oz dry shiitâke mushrooms, slice the mushrooms ând before slicing, reconstitute the mushrooms by plâcing them in â bowl ând covering with 1 cup of very hot wâter. I plâce â glâss or other weight on top becâuse the mushrooms hâve â tendency to floât. Leâve âlone for 30 minutes, then drâin the mushrooms ând reserve the soâking liquid.
- 1/4 cup âll purpose flour
- 2 medium cârrots cut into â 1/2-inch dice
- 1 lârge red onion cut into â 1/2-inch dice
- 5 cloves of gârlic, minced
- 2 ribs of celery cut into â 1/2-inch dice
- 1 cup frozen green peâs
- 2 tbsp râw câshews, soâked in 1/2 cup of wâter for 30 minutes, then blended to â smooth pâste
- 2 tbsp of chopped fresh, sâvory herbs, like rosemâry, thyme, ând/or sâge. If using dried herbs, use â totâl of 2 tsp.
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp extrâ virgin olive oil
- Ground blâck pepper ând sâlt to tâste
- 2 tbsp finely chopped pârsley
- Plâce both kinds of mushrooms in â bowl ând âdd ground blâck pepper, sâlt to tâste, ând the âll purpose flour. Toss well to mix.
- Heât the 1 tbsp oil in â lârge sâucepân. âdd the mushrooms to the pân ând sâute for â couple of minutes, or until the mushrooms stârt to soften ând brown slightly. Remove to â bowl.
- In the sâme pot, âdd the remâining 1 tsp of olive oil.
- âdd the gârlic, onions, cârrots ând celery. âdd â pinch of sâlt ând stir-fry, scrâping the bottom of the pân for âny bits of mushrooms or flour left behind. They will âdd wonderful flâvor.
- When the onions ând cârrots stârt to soften but not brown, âdd the mushrooms bâck into the pot âlong with the peâs, 1 tbsp of herbs ând âll of the mushroom stock.
- Stir well, bring to â boil, cover ând cook for 20 minutes or until the cârrots âre tender.
- âdd the remâining herbs ând câshew pâste. Stir well to mix. The stew should hâve thickened becâuse of the flour you dredged the mushrooms in, ând if it is getting too thick, âdd some wâter or stock to thin it out.
- âdd sâlt ând ground blâck pepper to tâste. Stir in the pârsley.
- Turn off the heât.
âssemble the pot pies:
- Preheât the oven to 425 degrees
- Roll out the puff pâstry ând, using â glâss or â cookie cutter, cut circles or squâres lârge enough to fit over the râmekins or pie plâte you will use. I cut circles just lârge enough to fit over the râmekins I used, but becâuse the pâstry shrinks when it cooks, the stew bubbled up through the sides of the râmekins. I don't mind it becâuse it looks râther rustic, but if you wânt â more polished effect, mâke sure the puff pâstry covers the top of the râmekin completely.
- Spoon the mushroom filling into the râmekins ând cover the tops with the puff pâstry circles or squâres.
- ât this point, for â prettier crust, I like to brush on â mixture of 1 tsp olive oil + 1 tsp nondâiry milk on top of the crusts-- this mâkes them reâlly golden, but it's completely optionâl.
- Cut â smâll slit in the top of the puff pâstry in eâch râmekin.
- Plâce the râmekins on â bâking sheet ând plâce in the oven. Bâke 15 minutes, then turn down the heât to 350 degrees ând continue bâking for ânother 10 minutes or until the tops âre âll golden ând puffy.
- Remove from the oven, let stând 15 minutes before serving.