Southern Style Hush Puppies
- 3/4 c self rising flour
- 1 c self rising corn meal (not mix)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 small onion, finely minced (i use sweet onion)
- 1 pinch garlic powder
- 1 pinch onion powder
- 1 pinch old bay seasoning
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 3/4 to 1 c buttermilk
- canola oil for frying
How to Make Southern Style Hush Puppies
- In large mixing bowl, mix together flour and cornmeal. Add egg, onion and spices.
- Add buttermilk and stir with fork just until blended. Mixture should be fairly stiff. Add a little bit more buttermilk, if necessary.
- Heat oil in deep fryer to 375 degrees. Drop dough by teaspoons into hot oil and fry until hush puppies rise to the top and are golden brown.
- Get more instructions >> Click here